Friday, November 4, 2011

Chickens 1st day free ranging

Free Ranging is when you allow your chickens to roam freely without being enclosed of any sort.  Today for 30 minutes I watched and observed my 8 1/2 week olds free ranging for the first time in a bush right near their coop.  They LOVE scratching around looking for bugs and seeds in the leaves.  I will not let my birds free range when I am not home, because what ended their little free range session today was a giant red tailed hawk flying into the tree right above them.  I read somewhere that "it is better for your chickens to live a happy shorter life free ranging, then live a long life in confinement." I'm not sure how I feel about this yet because these chickens are my pets!  I think the dangers of them free ranging when I'm not home are too much for me to handle.  I don't want to lose them, but they enjoy it so much! Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment